Competing is tough!
People who do it are extraordinary! I’m not talking about their bodies and physical strength – I’m talking about their mental strength! They are the cream of the crop when it comes to perseverance, determination, and will-power! They are able to tune everything out – all the distractions – and have laser focus on their goals! This is what separates competitors from regular athletes! This is also why 1 out of every 2 people who start the competition journey quit before actually hitting the stage.
We want to work with people who are super-motivated to accomplish their goals, and are willing to do what it takes to get to the stage. I want every person I work with to commit and see it through to the stage.
Here’s a good test for you to see if you’re REALLY ready. If you answer YES to ALL of the questions below, then I’d say you’re well on your way to walking across that stage in the best shape of your life! If there is even 1 NO, I need you to take some time to really ask yourself if you’re ready.
- Are you ready to train harder than you’ve ever trained before?
- Have you had a talk with your support system to explain your goals and are they on board?
- Are you ready to eat the same foods over and over again day in and day out?
- Are you ready to be frequently hungry throughout the day?
- Are you ready to have long periods of feeling tired and unmotivated?
- Are you mentally capable of continuing to push forward despite feeling tired and unmotivated?
- Are you willing to put any trips or vacations on hold until after your show -OR- if you do go on vacation, are you committed to packing your own food, taking it with you, and eating ONLY that?
- Are you ready and willing to stop ANY and ALL recreational drugs, smoking (everything – including cigarettes, marijuana, and hookah), and alcohol use while prepping for your show?
- Are you ready to have feelings of moodiness, sadness or crankiness due to fatigue and hormonal changes?
- Have you made your support system aware that you may have feelings of moodiness, sadness or crankiness as you go through this process? Are they still on board?
- Are you ok with temporarily spending less time with family and friends?
- Are you ok with spending up to four hours per day in the gym training and/or doing cardio? (this would be more towards the end of your prep FYI)
- Are you ok with being intimate with your significant other less often (you’ll likely feel more tired than usual and won’t feel up to it)? Is your significant other ok with this?
- Are you thick-skinned enough to hear criticisms such as “you’re getting too skinny”, “you’re getting too muscular” , “you’re getting too vascular?”
- Are you able to maintain your self-confidence and continue forward despite negative comments you may hear about your body?
- Do you understand that you will be thinner than you have ever been, and some people (or even you) may begin to say that you look sick?
- Are you able to maintain your self-confidence and continue forward despite comments you may hear about your health?
- Do you understand that the physique you will achieve on stage is NOT the physique you’ll have after the show and throughout the rest of the year?
- Are you able to understand that the low bodyfat associated with bodybuilding competition over long periods of time is UNHEALTHY and NOT meant to be maintained year-round?
- Do you currently accept your body at its normal, healthier level of body fat without self-criticism?
- Are you free from eating disorders including anorexia, bulimia, or binge eating?
- Are you free from major health problems and physical injuries?
- Are you coachable?
- Are you able and willing to follow instructions given?
- Will you commit to telling your coach the truth if you deviate from the plans (ie cheat on your diet, miss training or cardio, etc.)?
- Will you trust your coach to make decisions for your prep that are in your best interest for competing and in health?
- Do you have access to a gym with free weights and cardio equipment?
- Do you have extra money for supplements, competition fees, posing suits, and other miscellaneous expenses associated with competing?
- Are you able to be supportive of teammates by attending shows when able, rooting for them in person, or shouting them out on social media?
- Are you able to maintain a positive attitude even when things are tough?
If after reading these questions, you’re ready to join the 1%ers…the class of elite athletes whose physiques cannot be matched, I’m ready too…let’s do this! Check the graphic below to determine approximately how much time it will take you to become stage-ready!
Your competition prep plans will all be delivered to you online using the Ford Wellness app! You’ll receive your meal plans, supplement recommendations, cardio plans, and training split recommendations. You’ll be required to check-in (send progress pictures, weight, and measurements) with your coach twice per week. Your plans may be changed up to twice per week in order to keep you on track for your show date! Click below to register and get started!